What to expect when relocating to Germantown
Choose the perfect moving experience by putting your trust in
the capable hands of Spyder Moving + Storage
Have you decided that it’s time to pack your bags and go? People are moving all the time in search of better jobs, because of studies, or because they simply want to make a fresh start. One of the more popular destinations in recent times is Tennessee. Cities like Memphis and Nashville attract new residents due to rich culture and a favorable business climate. But the problem is that relocation presents a big change and is difficult to organize. However, you can always count on professional movers Memphis TN to help you with organizing the move. But the move is not over when you arrive at your destination. You must unpack and get familiar with your new surroundings. This is a process that could last for several months, but we have prepared this article to help you learn what to expect when relocating to Germantown.
How to choose a good neighborhood anyway?
Memphis is a big city that has many great neighborhoods, and Germantown is one of them. Like every other neighborhood, Germantown has its advantages and flaws, so it’s up to you to decide if it fits your criteria. Moving company Germantown TN will help you with relocation-related tasks, but the choice of a neighborhood will ultimately come down to your preferences and habits. Here are some general characteristics you should take into account:
- Overall safety level and crime rates
- Average real estate values
- Trends in real estate values
- Costs of living
- The average income per household
- Quality of schools and public transport
- Public green areas
- Amenities like pools, gyms, parks, and shopping malls
Financial aspects of relocating to Germantown
Finances are usually the driving force behind people’s decision to move. We all seek better jobs and lower costs of living, and quality movers help us achieve this. So, how Germantown and Tennessee fare in this sense?
- Costs of living. The average costs of living are 19% lower in Tennessee compared to the rest of the United States. This means that Tennessee ranks as one of the most affordable states. Housing, utilities, and groceries are all cheaper compared to the national average. On the other hand, transportation costs and health services are more expensive than the national average.
- Taxes. You should know that there is no income tax in Tennessee except if your source of income is investments. The quality of life is mirrored in the fact that only 3.2% of Germantown citizens are below the poverty line.
- Labor market. Tennessee has a stable labor market. Companies like Wabtec, Xerox, General Electric Aviation, WeatherBug, and Proxy Aviation Systems are the top employers here. Germantown’s economy is dominated by the retail and commercial service sectors. There is no heavy industry in Germantown. The unemployment rate in Tennessee is 2.4% which is much lower than the national average.
The cultural aspect of relocating to Germantown
Due to the economic growth cities like Nashville and Memphis turned into true modern megacities. These cities are cultural, financial, and media powerhouses that excel in commerce, education, tourism, sports, research, and tech, as well as in entertainment.
- Food in Germantown. Memphis is full of great restaurants where you can eat meat dishes prepared with hot spices and tasty seasonings. Barbecue with grilled vegetables and hot chicken are local delicacies. Speaking of sweets banana pudding and moon pies are the desserts to try here.
- Schools and Universities: Tennessee is home to many high-quality public and private schools. Also, Memphis and Nashville are famous for their acclaimed colleges and universities.
- History. Memphis has many important historical sites, museums, and art galleries that stand as a testament to its rich and turbulent history. The first evidence of Germantown’s history dates back to 1825 when the first white settlers came here and established the settlement. “Old Germantown” is located near the railroad depot in downtown Germantown on Germantown Road. One of the oldest brick homes in Shelby County, The John Gray House, is located in Municipal Park in Germantown.
Entertainment in Germantown
Like we already pointed out, Germantown is a part of the Memphis metropolitan area. Just for the record, Memphis has been named Airbnb’s sixth most hospitable city. This is a place where it’s easy to make friends and have fun.
- Vibrant nightlife. Germantown has a plethora of pubs, cocktail bars, and nightclubs where you can blow off some steam and have fun. It’s also a good place to find quality craft beer from one of the local micro-breweries.
- Music. Nashville and Memphis played a major role in the birth of blues, rock and roll, and rockabilly music. Stars like Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Aretha Franklin, and B.B. King began their musical journeys here. This tradition lives today, and Memphis is a place with many great annual music events like Beale Street Music Festival and Bonnaroo. Furthermore, the streets are packed with various live music joints.
Weather in Germantown, Tennessee
Speaking of Weather, Germantown is famous for mild winters and brutal summers. The Volunteer State has a unique climate that might not fit everyone’s taste. Summers here are quite hot with average summer temperatures regularly hitting 90 degrees. Winters are usually mild with three inches of snow each year, compared to the country’s average of 26. There are usually a few days of rain every month, and clouds are quite unpredictable. Therefore, you have to be ready for the occasional rainfalls. It is actually quite similar to Florida, it can start to rain out of nowhere. The humidity could be problematic for some people, especially during summers. Tennessee is also prone to occasional extreme weather like tornados. Although Tennessee does not lie in what is known as the “tornado alley” of the Southern Plains, its geographical location still allows for a relatively high frequency of tornado occurrences.
Generally speaking, relocating to Germantown could be a positive step for you and your family. It is important to find out if the place matches your preferences and habits before you move.
Cross-State Moving Experts