Pros and cons of living in Jackson MS
Choose the perfect moving experience by putting your trust in
the capable hands of Spyder Moving + Storage
Sometimes people find it hard to choose where to move. It’s a decision that will completely change your life, and for most people, it’s a once-in-a-life decision, so it’s essential to choose the place smartly. Are you thinking about moving to Jackson and wondering whether it’s a suitable place for you? Don’t worry. You are at the right address. Spyder Moving and Storage and our movers in Mississippi are here to help you decide. Following are some of the main pros and cons of living in Jackson MS. After you read our guide, you will see whether living in here is for you or not. So, make yourself comfortable and let us take you on a virtual tour through The City of Soul and help you make the final decision. Enjoy the ride.
Get to Know Jackson, MS
Before we move on to the pros and cons of living in Jackson MS, let’s explore the city. Nicknamed, The City with Soul, Jackson is the capital and one of the most populous cities in Mississippi. The capital was named after a U.S Army general, Andrew Jackson. Jackson is one of those places that are a part of Hinds County, just south of the Yazoo river, with lots of sights you can see. It is home to numerous museums, art galleries, and other cultural institutions, most notable being The Mississippi Children’s Museum, Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, and Mississippi Civil Rights Museum. Besides, Jackson provides great parks where you can enjoy a plethora of outdoor activities, such as Grove Park, LeFleur’s Bluff State Park, and others. Did you know that the popular film The Help (2011) was filmed in Jackson? All in all, Jackson has something for everyone.
There is one thing you will have to do before moving here though. You will have to prepare for your move. Sometimes this can be pretty overwhelming. With all the stressful situations you will have to deal with, who knows what can go wrong? So, the best thing you can do is get help from those who are skilled in moving, like with getting our moving services, for example. Don’t let stress influence your move when you can have it easy. However, before making a decision, let’s explore the main advantages and disadvantages of living here.
Pros and cons of living in Jackson MS may vary
As with any place, moving to Mississippi and its capital Jackson has its pros and cons. What may be an advantage to someone may be a disadvantage to others. The weather is one such thing. Jackson is a city located in a humid subtropical climate. As a part of the southern part of the U.S, you can expect warm weather and short winters. If you don’t like humidity, do not move here since summers can be pretty humid. On the other hand, if you do not like harsh winters, then you will enjoy Jackson. Winters are mild and fairly short, while temperatures rarely go below 50 degrees. Snow is rare in Jackson, so when it does snow, it is almost like a festival.
As you can see, this is the climate you need to prepare for before moving to Jackson. If you enjoy this kind of weather, then you are in the right place before moving out. So, before you head out, make sure to schedule your move with your moving companies Jackson MS. They will guide you through your moving process with ease, so you won’t have to worry about it.
Pros of living in Jackson
Now we are getting to the fun part. There are numerous advantages of moving to Jackson. It seems like Jackson justifies its nickname – the City with Soul. It is the “Birthplace of America’s Music” and has a great community vibe. When it comes to the living conditions, the following are some of the biggest advantages:
- The cost of living – the cost of living in Jackson is very affordable compared to the national average. The residents pay less for groceries, utilities, transportation, and other everyday necessities. And compared to other cities, the rent is also lower than the average. The median family income goes around $45,500.
- Home prices – If you want to buy a home, you can expect to pay around $279,000, while the median monthly rent is also very affordable, about $1000.
- Job market – There’s a diversity in job sectors. The major industries are electrical equipment and machinery manufacturing, followed by metal products, food, and other industries. Besides, the agricultural industry is flourishing. That means that if you are educated in these fields, you will certainly find a job as soon as you get here.
- Education – Namely, there are about 34 public elementary schools, 13 public middle schools, and 8 public high schools. The rankings of these schools go up to 45 on a scale of 0 to 100. Besides, there are numerous private schools. When it comes to university education, Jackson has most colleges and universities in Mississippi, the most notable being Jackson State University, Belhaven University, and Tougaloo College. Did you know that Jackson is very popular among students, because of its affordability? It is no wonder that student moving services MS are very popular here. And if you are a student yourself, we suggest you take the best from it and hire professionals for your move.
Cons of living in Jackson MS
Not everything is perfect in Jackson, MS. There are things that may be considered as disadvantages. As we’ve already mentioned, weather can be considered a disadvantage more than an advantage. It is maybe because you can not experience four seasons. Besides, there are risks of extreme weather, especially in summer. Humidity is also another problem Jackson residents face. It is also common to experience hurricanes, tropical cyclones, or tornadoes. Next, what may be seen as a disadvantage is the lack of diversity. Jackson is not prone to huge changes. Education is one thing that people find as both an advantage and a disadvantage. Although it has numerous schools, the ranking isn’t as big as in other big cities. Most people consider that the healthcare system isn’t as good as in other parts of the country. All in all, if you can accept these disadvantages, then Jackson is a good match.
As you can see, these are the biggest pros and cons of living in Jackson MS. Now that you have read it, you will know whether or not Jackson is the place for you. And if it is, we suggest hiring our residential movers to make sure you can organize the move with ease.
How to prepare for the move to Jackson, MS?
If Jackson is your final choice, here’s how to prepare for the move:
- Budget your move – roughly plan your moving budget in advance
- Contact various moving companies and get your moving quote – For example, if you are moving from Oxford, you can get matched with Oxford movers and packers, check their offers, and schedule your move.
- Obtain the necessary paperwork on time – Have the file always at hand.
- Make a moving plan – having a moving timeline is the way to a successful move. Thus, make your inventory list and start packing.
- Pack room by room – This way you’ll be able to set priorities. Declutter as you pack.
- Use storage – It will save you a lot of time and space.
Contact us today and schedule a seamless move
No matter whether you are moving your house or business to Jackson, MS, it is likely that you’ll need professional assistance. Searching for a reliable moving company in Mississippi is not an easy venture since there are numerous companies to choose from. However, few stand out. Spyder Moving and Storage is one such company that stands out from others, not only in terms of the range of services but also in terms of moving approach. With us by your side, your relocation will be a seamless and enjoyable experience. We approach each move with utmost care and devotion, thus making a customized moving plan to fit both your needs and moving budget. Start living in Jackson MS, as befits. Let us be the first step towards a happier life. Who knows, maybe will bring luck to you! Contact us today and ensure an enjoyable move.
Cross-State Moving Experts