Moving to Jackson, MS with kids 101
Choose the perfect moving experience by putting your trust in
the capable hands of Spyder Moving + Storage
Moving to a new city can be an exciting adventure, but when you’re moving with kids, there are a lot of factors to consider. If you’re planning on moving with your children to another city, the key is to be prepared. Getting to know the place you’re moving to is the best way to settle in with ease after the move, and make the process easier for your kids too. Spyder Moving and Storage will help you relocate stress-free. We’re also sharing everything you need to know when moving to Jackson MS with kids. From finding the right neighborhood to education, and recreation, we’re making sure your family feels at home in this vibrant Southern city.
What should you know before moving to Jackson MS with kids?
Before you hire movers and relocate with your kids, it’s important to do thorough research about the city you’re moving to. Knowing what to expect after moving to Mississippi will make the process of settling in faster and easier. The key things you should know about Jackson before moving there with your children are:
- the cost of living
- the education quality
- the entertainment and recreation options
- the best neighborhoods
The cost of living
Jackson is one of the most affordable cities in the state of Mississippi. The cost of living in Jackson is 18.2% lower than the national average, which makes it extremely appealing. Housing is also very affordable in Jackson, and local movers Mississippi offers can vouch that that’s one of the reasons why families with kids love it.
The median home price in Jackson is $169,200 which is significantly lower than the national average of $428,700. However, the median income is also lower than average. The average household income in Jackson is $33,080 which is 41% lower than the US average.
Education in Jackson, Mississippi is primarily administered by the Jackson Public School District (JPS), which serves over 23,000 students across 58 schools, including traditional public schools, magnet schools, and charter schools. The JPS system has undergone significant changes and challenges over the years, but it remains committed to providing quality education to its students. In recent years, the district has implemented initiatives to improve student achievement, such as the “Literacy-Based Promotion Act” which requires third-grade students to demonstrate reading proficiency before moving on to the fourth grade.
In addition to the traditional public schools, the city of Jackson is home to several magnet schools that offer specialized programs in areas such as STEM, visual and performing arts, and language immersion. The district also has several charter schools that offer alternative educational options.
Some of the best schools in Jackson are the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (MSMS), Clinton High School, Madison-Ridgeland Academy, and Jackson Preparatory School.
The entertainment and recreation
Whether you’re looking for cultural experiences or outdoor adventures, there’s something for everyone in Jackson. In addition to various parks, playgrounds, and outdoor spaces perfect for family outings, Jackson also offers plenty of entertainment options for fun family time. For example:
- Mississippi Children’s Museum – This interactive museum offers exhibits and programs designed to inspire creativity and learning in kids.
- Jackson Zoo – Home to over 200 species of animals, the zoo is a fun outing for families.
- LeFleur’s Bluff State Park – This state park within the city limits offers hiking trails, camping, fishing, and picnic areas.
- Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum – A fun and educational experience for sports fans of all ages.
- Old Capitol Museum – Learn about Mississippi’s history at this museum housed in the state’s historic capitol building.
- Ross Barnett Reservoir – A popular spot for boating, fishing, and water sports.
- Malco Grandview Cinema – Catch the latest family-friendly movies at this theater in Madison.
- Sky Zone Trampoline Park – This indoor trampoline park offers hours of fun for kids and adults.
- Mississippi Braves Baseball – Enjoy a night out at the ballpark with the AA affiliate of the Atlanta Braves.
- Mississippi Children’s Theatre – This professional theatre company offers productions and programs for kids of all ages.
The best neighborhoods in Jackson MS
Choosing the right neighborhood is one of the most important aspects when moving to another city with your family. When it comes to finding the best and safest neighborhoods in Jackson for families with kids, there are a few areas that tend to stand out according to the residents and the moving companies Jackson MS offers, such as:
- Madison – This suburb of is great if you’re considering moving to Jackson MS with kids. It consistently ranks as one of the safest cities in Mississippi and offers highly rated public schools.
- Ridgeland – Another suburb with a reputation for safety, Ridgeland also has highly rated public schools and various parks and recreational opportunities.
- Flowood – This suburb is home to the Dogwood Festival Market, a popular outdoor shopping center with a variety of restaurants and shops. It also has highly rated public schools and a reputation for safety.
- Brandon – A bit farther from Jackson, but still within commuting distance, Brandon offers a mix of suburban and rural living options and highly rated public schools.
- Northeast Jackson – This area of the city has a mix of residential and commercial development and is home to some of the city’s top-ranked public schools.
As with any city, it’s important to do your research and carefully consider your options when choosing a neighborhood. Other factors to consider might include commute times, proximity to parks and recreational opportunities, and access to amenities like grocery stores and restaurants.
Tips for moving to Jackson MS with kids seamlessly?
Relocating with children might seem challenging, but you can manage it easily by hiring reliable movers. With professionals by your side, moving to Jackson MS with kids will be quick and enjoyable. The secret to a stress-free move is to start planning it as soon as possible. Get moving estimates from several moving companies, compare them, and book the services up to 8 weeks before the move. That way, you’ll have plenty of time to organize everything and prepare your little ones for the relocation.
Cross-State Moving Experts