How to help your parents move
Choose the perfect moving experience by putting your trust in
the capable hands of Spyder Moving + Storage
Moving is one of those life events that make people take a deep breath. What makes moving that difficult is the fact that we don’t change our address every day. In other words, most people are not familiar with how moving works and how to conduct a move properly. As a result, people struggle to plan and organize a move and end up being frustrated and anxious. But moving doesn’t have to be that complicated. One solution is to call Mississippi moving company to help you with the move. On the other hand, you can try to organize the move by yourself, using the advice we are going to present to you in this article. Our topic for today will be how to help your parents move. So, stay tuned and let us help you pull off this move like a pro.
Help your parents move by acquiring professional help
Moving can be a challenging physical activity as it involves a lot of heavy lifting. Therefore, one could argue that is not suitable for the elderly. If you have older parents, the best thing you could do for them is to call professional movers. That is, of course, if you don’t have enough time to help them. Here is why it is considered as a good practice to get professional assistance when moving:
- You will save a lot of time. Your movers are well-trained professionals that will organize a move in a much shorter time than you could ever do. Furthermore, if you let them do their job you can concentrate on other important aspects of the move.
- Safety of your belongings. Professional packers know how to handle heavy and bulky pieces of furniture. They also know all the packing techniques that guarantee the safety of your belongings during transport.
Planning ahead is always a good idea
The best way to ensure that the move goes smoothly is to have a good plan. Therefore, you set aside enough time to discuss the move with your parents. Where will they live? Are they moving to another town or just across the street? If they are moving to Oxford MS, we have quality moving crews that can help them organize the relocation process. One of the most important things to do is to find the right property and neighborhood. Real estate agents can help you find the right home, but what about the right neighborhood? Well, you can start with in-depth online research. Here are some of the factors that you should take into consideration:
- Living costs
- Crime rates and overall safety ratings
- Presence of quality medical institutions
- Quality of public transport
- Parks and green spaces
- The proximity of necessary stores and shops
Be supportive and help your parents move
Moving is also difficult because it represents a change. The harsh reality is that the move is not over when the moving truck leaves you in front of the doors of your new home. You still have to unpack and get used to your new surroundings. And one thing is certain, old people are not very fond of big changes. Therefore, relocation can be a daunting and overwhelming experience for your parents, especially if they are old and in need of extra care. It is also natural that they feel uncomfortable if they have been living in their home for the majority of their lives. You must understand and respect that. For the reasons listed above, you must be supportive and help your parents before and after the move.
Advise them to downsize before the move
In most cases, our parents have a tendency to keep stuff that someone younger would consider as garbage and useless. That’s apparently something we develop with age. Perhaps your parents are among those folks. Decluttering before the move is important for several reasons:
- You will pay less for the move. The price of every move is based on two factors: The length of the move and the combined weight of the items you are moving. So, the less stuff you decide to transport, the less you will pay for the move. It’s as simple as that.
- Less time spent on packing and unpacking. No further explanation is needed.
- Healthier living space. Excess stuff only attracts dust and allergens. Furthermore, they are soon moving to a new place, it would be nice if they start a new chapter in their lives with a clean and organized living space.
So, how to actually approach this sensitive subject?
Well, the no. 1 thing to do is to talk with your parents. Let them feel like they are in control, give them your thoughts on the topic, and take no action. It is important to treat your parents as adults. Remember that they are still your parents and that they know a thing or two about life. It’s also critical that you treat their staff with respect, even if you think it’s just junk. Anyhow, your options will come down to several choices:
- Try to sell stuff that has some monetary value.
- Explain to them that they could donate some of the stuff that they are not using anymore to the people in need. This could do the trick.
- Offer to take in some of their belongings. This is a very nice gesture, and it shows that you care about their stuff.
- Throw out some of the stuff. Remember that this process could take some time as they will probably get overwhelmed.
As you can see, there is a lot that you could do to help your parents move. The important thing to remember is that you must plan ahead, be patient and supportive, and call professionals if necessary. We hope that you will find our advice useful, and we wish you a safe relocation.
Cross-State Moving Experts