Guide to relocating a hot tub
Choose the perfect moving experience by putting your trust in
the capable hands of Spyder Moving + Storage
The day has come and you are finally moving! You have planned every small detail about the move, packing everything, how you are going to organize the new place. But there are things you didn’t give much thought to, movers in Mississippi. Also, your hot tub. How difficult can it be you ask yourself? It is quite complicated. The guide to relocating a hot tub that you can read below contains all the information to give you an idea of what you need to do.
Why is it considered difficult to move a hot tub?
- Hot tubs can be huge a small hot tub is 6 feet long and 30 inches high, a medium-sized one is 7 feet long and 35 inches high while a big one measures 9 feet long and 40 inches high. If you have a hot tub that is sunk into the ground, be cautious. This type looks much smaller than it actually is. Professionals like moving labor in Memphis know everything about relocating a hot tub.
- Hot tubs are heavy – even when empty, they have an overwhelming weight. The smallest models, weigh from 300-500 pounds, while the large ones can be up to 1000 pounds. The size and weight make them really difficult to move even by the strongest people, even if it is just a small distance.
- Hot tubs are expensive – maybe your hot tub came with the house, or maybe you bought it yourself, anyway, it is a big initial investment. Maintainance and accessories are also expensive. Why would you risk damaging such a prized possession when you can hire professionals to do it for you?
- Anybody involved in the moving process can get serious injuries.
- If you are moving the hot tub by yourself, it could void any warranty that it has, and you don’t want that for sure.
A hot tub is expensive, so make sure to take good care of it while moving
Preparation for relocating a hot tub
Besides emptying the water from the shell, you also need to make sure to drain the pumps and pipes. We recommend doing this a few days prior, to give the components time to dry. Do this before packing services Memphis TN starts doing their job. Follow these instructions to properly drain your hot tub:
- Detach the power supply – there are different types, some have a switch in the circuit box, others just need the plug pulled from the wall. In some cases, some need an electrician to disconnect it from the power supply.
- Connect a hose – remove the cover from the drain valve and attach one end of a garden hose to drain the hot tub in an appropriate draining spot
- Release the water – you can let the water drain on its own, but that will take a long time. We recommend using a water pump to speed things up when relocating a hot tub.
- Wet-dry vac – use this to properly drain out all the remaining water. This includes the bottom of the hot tub, the pipes, and the jets. This step is crucial if you are moving to a place where the temperatures are freezing.
- Thoroughly clean – this is the perfect opportunity to deep clean your hot tub before moving it to your new home
Choose the best available route
Before even attempting to move it, make sure you know the exact size of your hot tub. According to that, choose a path where it can fit through. Also, do this for your new home. Make sure you have a large piece of cardboard or a thick blanket to put underneath when moving it. For further information on a DIY move, check the guide on how to move a hot tub in 10 easy steps. We suggest leaving all of this to trained professionals. You won’t have to worry about any of this, and you could also avoid injuring yourself.
Now that you have a general idea about relocating a hot tub, we hope to have eased your anxiety about the move at least a little. You can contact our heavy item movers for help. Just think about the moment when you will finally be able to soak all the stress away when you enter the hot tub in your new home. We wish you good luck with your upcoming move!
Cross-State Moving Experts