Are you curious about what the most frequent mistakes when storing items at home are? If so, Mississippi moving company will help you recognize the mistakes, and even more, tell you how to avoid them. When we store the items at home, we tend to not take the whole process as seriously as we should, simply because we aren’t storing them in the storage unit. That’s why finding out more about the frequent mistakes we make will be beneficial for the storage of your items, as well as their condition. To find out more about the mistakes when storing items at home, keep on reading!
One of the most frequent mistakes when storing items at home is not packing them
Let’s start with the most frequent mistake that people usually make. Avoid not packing your items before you store them. If you don’t have enough time to do it yourself, you can always turn to packing and unpacking services. Regardless, you should get the high-quality packing materials and get to work. To pack your items for storage, first you need to clean them. After they’re all clean, wrap them in glassine if they have sensitive surfaces. The next step is wrapping fragile items in bubble wrap twice, and not fragile items like clothes should only be placed in a plastic bag. In the end, fill the cardboard box with packing peanuts, place the item, label the box, and it’s ready for storage!
Storing the items that aren’t for storing
There are several items that you shouldn’t be storing – whether you’re placing your items in the professional storage unit, or in your home.
Don’t make these mistakes when storing items at home:
- Storing edibles – They will perish and potentially ruin some of your items around if the fungi starts developing, which is very likely.
- Not calling professionals like movers Hernando MS to help you move hard items, because that way you might potentially get hurt.
- Storing plants – You shouldn’t store anything that’s alive.
- Storing dangerous chemicals – especially on the shelf – In case you want to store some of the dangerous chemicals, which you should avoid doing at all costs, at least store them on the floor. That way, they won’t be able to fall and be a potential danger to the rest of your items.
- Not checking up on your stored items for days on end, after storing them.
Using a space that’s too small or hardly accessible
When you want to store your items, the number one step is to choose the space where you’ll store them wisely. Storing things at home sometimes ends up being impractical. Don’t choose to store the items in a room that’s hardly accessible. This causes trouble when you need to take some of the items outside of the room. If the room is too small and packed with items, it’ll also be impossible to take something out of the back of the room.
Not investing in security is one of the mistakes when storing items at home
In the end, one of the mistakes when storing items at home is that people forget to invest in the security of their storage space. No matter what you store, it’s a big chance that there’s a big quantity of the items in there. Make sure to get a proper latch and security systems in place. If you’re unsure where to start, give us a call. We’ll be happy to answer all of your questions, provide our high-quality moving services, as well as advice. Store your items safely with us!
packing tipsStorage solutions